This: Creamy Vegan Potato Chowder. I mean, what else is there to say? :P
Ok I’m not gonna blab a lot on this one like I do for most of my posts, lol. I’m just gonna cut to the chase:
It is winter, it’s cold and I just really wanted something super comforting without a lot of guilt.
It’s not the highest-nutrient soup, but it’s super easy to put together and you control the salt and everything else. Win-win, especially if you’re really wanting something soothing in the cold.
And if it keeps you from eating something else worse, like it did me, then it’s really a Souper Hero! :D hahaha
Creamy Vegan Potato Chowder VIDEO
I hope you love it as much as I did! (Just finished my last portion today!)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 10 cups water or low- or no-sodium vegetable stock
- 5-6 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 orange pepper, chopped finely
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped finely
- 1½ tablespoons Vogue VegeBase low-sodium soup base
- 1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest (optional, add more Vogue if necessary)
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add onions and water saute for 10 minutes or so, adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time if they stick too much. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, until garlic becomes fragrant, making sure it doesn't burn.
- Add the rest of the water or stock, potatoes, peppers, and seasoning to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender all the way through.
- In a high-speed blender, add the cashews, hemp seeds and a few cups of the potato soup and blend until creamy. Add this mixture back to the soup pot, season with pepper and stir to combine.
- NOTE: If you have a regular blender, you will want to soak the cashews and hemp seeds in some of the soup for about 30 minutes before blending to soften. This can be done right in the blender container.