This #SundaySupper post is in conjunction with the brand of outdoor gear (shoes and clothing) Merrell (one of my favs) and I thought it appropriate to let you in on a little of my outdoorsy history and then give a great recipe for some good outdoor activity kind of food! The best part is, Merrell has agreed to compensate some of us SundaySupper-ans (I’m included, yay!) with a gift certificate and has also given us a women’s footwear product to giveaway too! So if you like free stuff and are interested in #WINNING, see the bottom of this post for details….
If you know me, then you know I’m one of those “outdoorsy” types. I love to be out in nature more than most things, and when exercising, I almost always choose something that can be done cheaply and outside, rather than spending time in a gym. Some of my favorite past times are actually when I used to rock climb. I started climbing in an indoor rock gym (read: ironic) and then eventually got the courage to climb on real rocks outside. Since I lived in Manhattan at the time, the first actual rocks I ever climbed were Rat Rock and Cat Rock in Central Park. I soon graduated to short day trips to places like Bear Mountain and the Gunks. And when I took a 6 month solo roadtrip after college, I spent a lot of time climbing with friends in various locales around the Western US.
Not only did I love climbing, but I loved the “approach”, too. The word approach in climbing refers to the hike that one must take in order to get to a rock face. Which can be it’s own little tiring adventure in itself. So let’s say you plan on doing several hours of climbing in one day. You can imagine that climbing will wear you out pretty quick. But now imagine that you need to actually get to the rock in the first place. There can be (and often are) hours of approach time necessary to hike to a rock face from where you parked, not to mention the hike back to the car after a long strenuous day of activity. My favorite part of both hiking and climbing are the views you get from going to these distant lands to scale a rock; so worth it!
And now that I live in Florida, well, let’s just say I haven’t seen a rock here…well….ever! Lol. The nearest climbing here is like 8 hours away in Georgia and forget hiking here with all those nasty bugs and prickly bushes. No thank you! I’ll stick to walking trails and the beach any day as my adapted form of outdoorsy-ness here. Ha!
So imagine my delight when an awesome company like Merrell wanted to work with us – right up my alley! I chose a recipe that fits perfectly into my past experiences – a Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar that really packs in some much needed calories into a little space. Delicious, energy-giving, game crushing calories. When I’m with my climbing or hiking buddies, we have to support each other in ways that are very serious – always looking out for each other’s safety. You become family real quick in situations like this, and the bonding time over eating is one of the sweetest moments of your days. You could also take these bars with you on any excursion with your own family – a long day at the beach, or even on a long roadtrip where you need some quick, healthy food. Best part is, there’s no preservatives in these bars and they’re SUPER simple to make. Check out the short video I made below to show you the recipe:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars
adapted from LeanBodyLifestyle, YouTube
4 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
2 cups oats, I used quick cooking
1/2 cup almond milk, milk, or water
5 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
2-3 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
Microwave the peanut butter to make it easier to mix. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly and flatten into an 8×8 cake pan, that has been greased with cooking spray. Refrigerate for an hour. Cut into 8 rectangular bars.
*Additional liquid or protein powder, etc may be needed to arrive at the correct consistency so they’re not too dry or too sticky, since all protein powders are different. I ended up baking mine for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Also, I don’t like mine too sweet, so these are perfect. But you may want more sugar!
Here are the links for all the other lovely #SundaySupper-ans who are posting with me today! The first ten are also hosting their own giveaway that you could win as well!
- Blueberry Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Korean Ribs – Alaska Camping Edition with MrsMamaHen
- Fresh Corn on the Cob by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado by Basic n Delicious
- Shallot BBQ Shredded Beef by Juanita’s Cocina
- Taking #SundaySupper Outdoors With a Fun Picnic…Featuring Spicy Pinto and Black Bean Salad with Roasted Corn and Avocado by The Weekend Gourmet
- On Top of Our Game with Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars by Nourish Your Lifestyle
- Chicken & Dumplings Around the Campfire by Daily Dish Recipes
- Wine & Food Festivals; a lifestyle the whole family can enjoy! by Wine Everyday
- Outdoor Grilling Filipino Rice Cakes in Coconut & Banana Leaves by The Queen’s Notebook
The Sunday Supper fun continues. Take a look at these wonderful stories and recipes for this event:
- Embracing Old Family Traditions while creating New Ones ~ Enchiladas de Chile y Ajo by Girlichef
- The Embassy´s Nut Crescents by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chicken Curry Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Prosecco Sangria by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Bringing #SundaySupper to All by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey Mustard Baked Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- S’mores Brownies: Desserts Make #SundaySupper by Mama Mommy Mom
- Tandoori Salmon Rolled in Whole Wheat Couscous by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Macaroni with Spinach Pecan Pesto-Enjoying by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Southwestern Chicken Wraps Fam Friends Food
- Ahi Tuna Salad Family Style Family Foodie
- Wines For The Foods That Move You ENOFYLZ
ABOUT THE MERRELL GIVEAWAY:
The giveaway that I am able to offer on my blog is for this awesome-looking women’s hiking boot called the Palvina boot. Looks old school European but still cool enough to wear everyday! Check out a pic and video:
DO YOU WANT TO WIN the cute PALVINA BOOT??
Here is how to enter to win. You must do both, #1 and #2, to have an eligible entry:
1. Leave a comment below on what Sunday Supper means to you and your family – AND – include your twitter handle in the comment. Comment must be posted by 8 pm Eastern time today (Sunday, July 29, 2012).
2. Join in the conversation during the live #SundaySupper chat on Twitter 7-8 pm Eastern Time today (Sunday, July 29, 2012). Your tweet(s) must contain the #SundaySupper hashtag.
The winner will be chosen randomly from the eligible entries. Eligible entries will be assigned a number and the number will be selected using Random.org. The winner will receive a redemption code so he/she can order the shoes directly from the Merrell website (ground shipping included). Note: Giveaway open for United States residents only.
There are more opportunities to win. Remember there are ten bloggers with giveaways and each blogger has a different Merrell product for their giveaway. Be sure to visit each one to read all about what Sunday Supper means to each blogger, check out their recipe, and enter to win. The links to the ten blogs (including this one) are above!
I want to send an extra special Thank You to Merrell for allowing us to participate in this awesome Sunday Supper and for contributing some awesome swag! Other ways to connect with Merrell: